Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Menu Plan Monday: What's On Your Plate?


"Hey Cheapo! What's on YOUR plate this week?"

Sadly enough, it has been a few weeks since I have done any meal planning. This week, I decided to jump back on the horse and ride! Here's what we "should" be having:


Mon: Leftover Father's Day Baked Ziti - altered, with garlic bread & salad
By the word "altered", I took the recipe suggestions into consideration and also added cooked Italian sausage and/or ground sirloin and cooked onion. If adding more ingredients, be prepared to use a pan bigger than 9 x 13. As far as the garlic bread goes, I prefer homemade as to the prepared chemical filled stuff. I bought store baked french loaf ($.99), sliced it in half horizontally and slathered the tops with a good layer of softe
ned butter. Then, in the dollar section, I found a grinder with sea salt and garlic. I ground that over the butter and topped with a sprinkling of parsley and shredded Parmesan cheese. Bake towards the end of the Ziti baking time, then quickly broil to toast it up. Mmmmm!

Tues: Hot Dogs, Corn on the cob, Mac & Cheese

Wed: Homemade Waffles & Sausage
Something I've never done, but was inspired by Money Saving Mom to do - make homemade waffles. I'm so nerdy excited about doing it! I'm not talking just plain ole' Leggo My Eggo type waffles - I'm looking for buttermilk, cornmeal, blueberry, fudge and pumpkin praline! Well...maybe I should just start with the plain ones first. I'll keep you updated!


Thurs: Grilled Burgers, Broccoli, Cottage Cheese & Pineapple

Fri: Pork Stir Fry

Sat: BBQ Ribs, Corn & Rice

Sun: Masonic Family Picnic for lunch and a Youth Group cookout for dinner

It's truly amazing how much time and money you can save by planning out your meals each week. Plus, when you already know ahead of time what you are having, it takes the stress away each day. If you don't know where to start, here is a planning sheet that I have always liked to use. It's only for dinners, though you can find others that plan every meal of the day. Breakfasts for us are rather slim - cereal, English muffins or smoothies; lunch usually consists of dinner leftovers. If you want to save money on paper and ink, you can also get a small magnetic whiteboard for your fridge to plan meals on. I've seen them for $2.50-$3.50 at Dollar General.
At any rate, gather your store sale sheets and start your planning TODAY!! Yes, TODAY...as in right NOW! *wink*

More Menu Plan Mondays!

No comments: