Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Thrifty Tip Tuesday: Cleaners At Hand

I'll admit it.

I am one of those people that is always in search of better ways to save or use time. Honestly, I rarely ever even watch TV because it just seems like such a waste of life hours. Multi-tasking is my middle name. Seriously. It's Cheapo Multi-tasking McFrugalpants. How would you like to learn how to write THAT in Kindergarten?

Anyway...about 5 and a half years ago we bought our house. It's not a small house. Matter of fact, it's the first house in my adult life that has multi-level floors...counting the basement, there are four to be exact. Did I mention it's 100 years old this year? Except for a laundry chute from the second floor to the basement, nothing in this old house is of convenience. Nothing.

Very soon after moving in, I realized how tiring it is constantly going up and down the stairs for this and that and this. We had to come up with efficient ways to lessen our trips through the stairwell. For example, we keep a small toolbox on each level filled just with the basics: screwdrivers, pliers and measuring tape. Trust me when I say it's a time saver. You know how frustrating it is to need a screwdriver, go down and up the [22] stairs to get one, only to find out you needed a Phillips instead?

Something else I found to be very time efficient - keep a set of cleaners wherever you use them most. See this picture above? Yes, it's four bottles of window cleaner. One belongs in the upstairs bathroom, one in the downstairs bathroom, one in the kitchen and one on the glassed front porch. You wouldn't believe how much easier this makes cleaning (keep a roll of paper towels with each one as well.) Think about it for a second...if I was upstairs and noticed that the mirror needed cleaned, I am more likely to clean it right away if I don't have to travel half way around the world just to get the cleaner. Am I right?

And why do I label them? If I didn't, all four bottles would eventually end up under the kitchen sink, defeating the entire purpose. This way, when someone uses a bottle, they know exactly where to put it when they are finished. Therefore, it's there when you need it for the next time.

Yes, cleaners can get expensive. But, there are ALWAYS coupons available for cleaning supplies. If you don't do coupons, pick up a few bottles at a dollar store somewhere. Spending those extra few dollars to have multiple items is SO worth the time and energy you will save with your everyday household duties.
(this rule also applies to bathroom cleaner and air freshener)

More Thrifty Tip Tuesday over at I Am a Money Magnet

2 comments:

Jamie @ I Am A Money Magnet said...

Wow, four levels, that's a lot of house and alot of stairs. You're so right about the labels!! lol! Thanks for linking to Thrifty Tip Tuesday!

Toni said...

In all honesty, the 3rd floor remains empty for the time being. The only trip I really make up there is to do an occasional vacuum. Hopefully, some day, I can have some resemblance of a studio in that space :)